Go to Victoria's website
Shambhala Day Community Celebration
February 11 / 7:15 AM - February 11 / 10:00 PM
We invite all members and friends to join us for one of the most important traditions of Shambhala: our annual New Year’s celebration.
Shambhala Day marks the beginning of the new year—this year, the Year of the Water Snake. Based on the traditional Tibetan New Year’s celebration of Losar, the day is calculated astrologically according to the Tibetan lunar calendar.
Around the globe, people gather in their local centres to express the wealth and richness of our spiritual and cultural heritage through practice, feasting, conviviality and elegance. A highlight of the festivities is the Shambhala Day address by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, broadcast to centres and groups spanning six continents.
This is also a time when Shambhala community members are encouraged to make a financial donation to Shambhala to help support the activities of the Sakyong and our worldwide mandala.
- 7:15 AM: Gather at Mount Tolmie for 7:27 AM sunrise
- 7:45 AM: Potluck breakfast at Shambhala Centre
- 9:00 AM: Lhasang (purification ritual), opening chants, and Elixir of Life practice
- 9:30 AM: International roll call of Shambhala Centres and Groups
- 10:00 AM: Address by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche; President Reoch’s address and Year in Review
- 11:30 AM – 12:00 PM: Centre Director Layth Matthews’ report and generosity presentation; throw of I Ching
* * *
- 12:00 PM: Self-organized gatherings—for lunch, afternoon outings etc.
- 12:30 PM: Catered vegetarian lunch at Silas Rosenblatt’s home (cost about $20 per person; contact Silas at email@example.com to learn more)
* * *
- 6:30 PM: Setup
- 7:00 PM: Bagpipe procession and colour party; desserts, tea, wine, toasts, and music; membership/awards ceremony and distribution of practice books and pins; dance; Shambhala Anthem
- 9:30 PM: Cleanup
For more information, contact Chris Bauman at 250-858-4211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.